Wednesday, March 22

A recap

So I have become really bad at blogging. Mainly because I started to keep a written travel journal. It is convenient because I take it with me wherever I go and can write where I ate, if it was good or not, the address, places that people tell me to go etc. So here I'm going to sum up what I've written the last few days.

I dont remember if I said it before, but now I have internet at my casa! Yaaaay! My madre let them come and install a DSL line so I once again feel connected to the first world. It is so nice becasue I can use AIM and Google Talk to talk to my friends and family and I don't have to worry about talking fast because it is free! I am thinking of checking out this Skype thing so I can call people's cell phones. We'll see.

Okay so I ended on Friday with Puerto Madero. Saturday was a blast. Ruth, Ben, Lacey, Drew, Rainey-Mills and I went to La Boca. I had my first experience on a collectivo (city bus) and it actually wasnt that bad! La boca is sort of the poorer part of town but around the Caminito its very touristy and with lots of bright colors and cute cafes and shops. It was beautiful. See the pics because it is way too hard to describe. I bought an antique ring for 5 pesos. I wear it all the time now, I love it!

Saturday night the whole crew minus Ruth who had to go back to MS went out for dinner and cocktails. We ate at a cool restaurant in the Village in Recoleta that had a really neat atmosphere and it was pretty resasonably priced. Afterwards we went for a drink at an outdoor cafe at Plaza Serrano in Palermo. Ben got into a funny conversation with some Argentines about the differences in Chilean and Porteno spanish. It was priceless. After that we went back to the village and hit up a disco club. They played horrible 90s music like "Its Raining Men" and "Sweet Dreams are made of this" which were even worse becasue they had been transformed into disco tunes. It was hilarious and so fun. We stayed out till 4 and I totally lost my voice but it was the first time I felt truly Argentine!

Sunday I spent most of the day sleeping and watching movies because I didnt have anything to do/I was still sick. At 5 though I went to a Ballet. It was sort of a modern ballet and was an interpretation of Romeo and Juliet. It was so neat. I love the ballet. It is soo romantic. I definetly want to go to more theater while I'm here.

The rest of the week has mainly been classes, lunch, classes dinner, etc. Mucho clase. I have also been working on getting all the readings for all of my classes. It is muy dificil because you have to go to the copy place at Linguas Vivas (where we have our spanish classes) and then search for all the things you need copied and then wait for them to copy them. No organized course packets like at home. Since there are no copyright laws here it is totally legit to copy books. Reading this semester is only going to cost like $50 as opposed to the normal US $300 or so. I could get used to this...

Oh I almost forgot one of the coolest part of the week! So I was talking to my business teacher and he said that I could do a business internship without having to take the Business Internship class! I am going work 8 hours a week at a company called Patagonia Software. Tuesday I went and met with the people I will be working with and I should get an email pretty soon of what days and times I will be working. They are going to place me in a department of my choice and I will probably be put on a project. I kind of want to be in the Marketing department but one intern gets to work directly with the CEO which I think would be awesome. I am going to try and snatch that one up. I figure I could learn a little of everything in that position. I am really excited because this will be another way to keep me busy but also provide me with another outlet to speak spanish. It should be a great experience!

Another big project for this week was school supply shopping. This combine with finding all my readings was a huge undertaking. Those who know me well know I am totally obsessive compulsive about my school supplies. I have to make title pages for all my binders and color code them. School supplies are hard to find here. Well not hard to find but there isn't as much of a selection. I was totally missing Walmart. I met this girl who is in 2 of my classes, Jenny, who is from Ohio and she is totally OCD about school supplies too so we went on a shopping trip together. It was so fun! Afterwards I made all my inserts for my binders and color coded them. Of course. (Allison, I know you are thinking right now, I am glad I didn't have to go school supply shopping with her AGAIN this semester...but don't worry we'll get to do it in the fall :)) Now they are all done and SO cute. I think this is my best semester yet. I went with a pastel theme. Pink, light blue, and purple. Maybe I'll take pics and post them. I'm very proud of my work.

Okay well I am going to stop writing about my life here and get to living it...tomorrow I promise I will sit down and write about all the stuff I have been meaning to write about. Culture, food, etc. Y'all keep in touch now!

No comments: